Since the release of Econami, we still get folks who do not realize that the Econami is a full featured sound decoder. To help dispel these myths, we have compiled a short list of FAQs:
Is Econami the same sound decoder found in many entry-level products such as the Bachmann Sound Value or Walthers Mainline? No. The Econami decoder is a full featured sound decoder offering many of the sound effects that you have come to expect from SoundTraxx, but at an affordable price.
- High-quality 16-bit sound
- 40+ sound effects and 12 polyphonic sound channels
- Selectable sound effects to fit most operating preferences: Select from popular prime movers and exhaust chuffs, 16 airhorns or whistles, and up to 7 bells. Econami also includes multiple selections for air compressors or airpumps, dynamos, and couplers.
- 7-Band Equalizer
- Function-activated brake with synchronized sound effects
- Updated, easy-to-use CV roster for customizing motor, lighting, and sound settings
- Up to six lighting outputs, allowing a selection from 20 Hyperlight lighting effects
- Back-EMF Hyperdrive2 advanced motor control
- Standard, 3-point, and user-adjustable speed curves
- 28-function support, plus directional and E-Stop functions
- Flex-Map function mapping technology: Allows you to map any of Econami’s effects to any F0-F28 function key, control directionality of lighting outputs, configure any effect to respond automatically to changes in direction and movement, and ability to map an effect to the emergency stop button if desired.
- Function-activated grade-crossing signal
- Function to improve switching operations: Activating Switching Mode will reduce throttle by 50% and inactivate all momentum CV settings, allowing the decoder to respond instantly to throttle changes.
- Support for easy CurrentKeeper installation to prevent momentary power losses during operation
- Compatible with NMRA DCC Standards & Recommended Practices
What sound files do I get in Econami? This is a decoder packed full of sounds. There is of course the horn and whistle, bell, and exhaust, but also included are compressors, blower, cylinder cocks, radiator fans, brake squeal, and release (including the popular braking effects!), water stop, coupler and more. Econami also introduces a decoder for electrics, light trolleys, and streetcars with many features adjustable to match the model! The sound files are designed to meet our top selling sounds. In the steam, you get a light, medium, heavy, and geared exhaust chuff with 16 whistles to choose from. In the diesel, you get EMD 567, 645-Turbo, 710-Turbo, Alco 244, and Modern GE FDL with 16 whistles to choose from.
What are the major differences between Econami and Tsunami? Though these decoders do have similar features, the Econami is set with a 3rd generation CV roster, including 28-function support, and you gain additional features such as more whistles, cylinder cocks, 3-cylinder chuff, selectable compressors, bells, dynamos, couplers, and more! The biggest difference from the now discontinued Tsunami line is the loss of reverb and Fireman Fred.
If it includes all those features, how is it called Econami? Econami is a value product that performs 95% of the functions and features found on all high-end decoders, but at 75% of the cost. For example, with selectable exhaust, whistle, bell, and more, the Steam Econami will satisfy the heavy steam enthusiast as well as the early-steam era modeler with a single decoder!