Product Finder
Click Here To Subscribe
wal_papb_prr_5754_5756

WalthersMainline HO ALCo PA/PB Set, With Sound, PRR #5755A & #5758B, 910-20068

$289.95

Available on backorder

MSRP: $419.98

SKU: wal910.20068 Snd Categories: , , , , , , Tags: , , , , , ,

Product Description

WalthersMainline HO ALCo PA – PB Set, with SoundTraxx® Sound & DCC
Pennsylvania #5755A & #5758B

Walthers Item #910-20068

Locomotive Features

  • Limited Edition – One time run of these roadnumbers!
  • Available with factory-Installed SoundTraxx(R) Sound for DCC and DC layouts
  • 16-Bit digital quality sound
  • Horn and short horn toot
  • Bell
  • Prime mover
  • Three lighting functions
  •  Same powerful drive as WalthersProto locos featuring:
  • Five-pole skew-wound motor
  • 14:1 gear ratio
  • Helical-cut gears for quiet operation and easy multiple unit operation
  • All-wheel drive and electrical pickup
  • Dual machined brass flywheels
  • Heavy die cast metal chassis
  • Constant lighting
  • Factory-installed handrails
  • Molded drill starter points for grab irons (sold separately)
  • RP-25 metal wheels
  • Proto MAX(TM) metal knuckle couplers
  • Perfect for use with new WalthersProto(R) P70 Coaches
  • Working Mars Light on PA
  • Prototypes used in passenger and later freight service from 1947 to 1962

Prototype Overview:

The PAs, as well as their cousins, the ALCO FAs, were born as a result of Alco’s development of a new diesel engine design, the Model 244. In early 1944, development started on the new design, and by November 1945, the first engines were beginning to undergo tests. This unusually short testing sequence was brought about by the decision of Alco’s senior management that the engine and an associated line of road locomotives had to be introduced no later than the end of 1946. In preparation for this deadline, by January 1946, the first 16-cylinder 244 engines were being tested, and while a strike delayed work on the locomotives, the first two PA units were released for road tests in June 1946, for testing for one month on the Lehigh Valley Railroad. After these first tests were completed, the locomotives returned to the factory for refurbishment and engine replacement. In September 1946, the first production units, an A-B-A set of PA1s in Santa Fe colors were released from the factory, and sent to New York’s Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, which had a private railroad siding, for exhibition before being launched into road service

Reviews

There are no reviews yet.

Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.