HO ALCo FPA-2, DC
Baltimore & Ohio (1956 Scheme) #4013
Rapido Item: #21006
Rapido has announced the definitive HO scale model of the Alco/MLW FA-2 and FPA-2. The FA-2 was Alco’s response to the ubiquitous EMD F7 that was swiftly becoming the locomotive of choice for many freight and passenger railroads. The FA-2 was intended for freight service while the FPA-2 included a steam generator and obligatory large water tank for heating passenger cars. Rapido’s models will have the correct details for each version.
In all, Rapido is actually tooling four different fuel and fuel/water tanks: two FA-2 fuel tanks (one for CP and one for everyone else) and two FPA-2 fuel/water tanks (one for CP/CN and one for everyone else).
Most importantly, Rapido’s is the ONLY FA model ever produced that was scaled from a 3D scan of the prototype, FPA-4 #6765 at the Exporail Museum in Saint-Constant, Quebec. The nose on their model is the only one guaranteed to be the correct shape, as it’s the only one designed from a 3D scan! It is quite different from the nose used on older models.
- 5-pole, skew-wound motor with excellent slow-speed performance
- Operating number boards, headlights and two-color class lights
- Roadname-specific details
- Dynamic brakes
- Etched-metal grilles (Farr or chicken wire, as appropriate)
- Full underbody piping and conduit
- Correct, roadnames-specific FA-2 and FPA-2 fuel tanks
- Separate grab irons and handrails installed at the factory
- Heavy, die-cast chassis
- Full cab interior
- Factory-installed Macdonald-Cartier couplers mounted at the correct height
- Correct water/fuel tank combination for the FPA-2
- Dynamic Brakes
- Vertical battery box louvers
- Prototype-specific details
- Underbody piping and conduit
- Nose louvers for B&O
- Trainphone Antenna for PRR