This Southwest Limited passenger car set are expected from Kato in early June, 2016. Tonys is offering this special introductory sale pricing for a limited time. This is first-come first-served and quantities are not guaranteed at these prices! If you put your pre-order in now, you will NOT be charged until it has come in and we are ready to ship it to you. Take advantage of these fantastic prices!
Kato N Scale Amtrak Southwest Limited 8 Car Passenger Set
Kato Item #: 106-081
Need a matching Amtrak diesel for your passenger car set? Check out the links below!
- Brand new paint and numbering for the Santa Fe Cars to represent their post-1971 appearance.
- Tail-end coach has illuminated marker lights and illuminated Amtrak logo drumhead.
- Each car is equipped with low flange wheels, KATO magnetic knuckle couplers and shock absorber construction for smooth and reliable operation.
- Ideal for operating with Kato EMD SDP40F locomotives
- Interior of cars can be lighted with optional installation of #11-211 or #11-212 Version 2 Interior Light Kit with White LED.
In 1971 Amtrak, “America’s Railroad”, was born, and with it was born the responsibility of maintaining America’s passenger services. Taking up among others the Santa Fe’s luxury “Super Chief” and coach class “El Capitan” trains, Amtrak quickly set about attempting to create its own image for these classic stainless trains, adorning them with bold red, white and blue stripes and the Chevron logo (known today as Phase I colors) which would be synonymous with Amtrak service for nearly three decades.
Amtrak continued to operate the “El Capitan” and “Super Chief” trains in combined consists for a number of years before retiring the historic “El Capitan” name, but the legacy of the train’s double decker cars would live on, both in the form of first-class “Pacific Parlour” lounge cars and in the design of the Superliners which would take form and inspiration from the Hi-level car’s revolutionary design.