Kato N Scale EMD F7A & F7B Freight Set with Kato Installed TCS DCC
Great Northern #444A & #444B
Kato Item #: 106-0420-1
The Kato EMD F7 comes in both A and B (cabless) variations, and is retooled from earlier variations of the F-unit locomotive chassis to make it DCC friendly. Passenger units can be identified by their Steam Generators vs. freight units which lack this detail.
- Kato Installed TCS K0D8 DCC Decoder
- Per-prototype paint variations on Bluebonnets: #325 lacks blue stripes under the lower headlight while #332 has the double stripe, just like the prototype.
- A-unit LED has directional headlight and illuminated number boards
- Locomotives have a powerful five pole motor with all wheel electrical pickup and blackened wheels
- KATO magnetic knuckle couplers
The F-Unit is probably the most recognized diesel locomotive in North American history. It was found on railroads from East to West and North to South. Similar in appearance to its predecessor, the EMD F3, the EMD F7 was a 1500 hp multi-purpose locomotive. Although originally promoted as a freight-hauling unit by EMD, the F7 was also used in passenger service hauling such trains such as the Santa Fe Super Chief and the Great Northern Empire Builder. The F7 was the fourth model in GM-EMD’s highly successful F-unit series, and was for a long time (until the introduction of the EMD SD40-2 freight unit) was the best selling Diesel-electric locomotive ever made.