InterMountain HO EMD F3A (Phase II), With ESU LokPilot DCC
Chicago, Burlington & Quincy, Phase 3 #162A
InterMountain Item #49140-03
- Sharp Painting and Lettering
- The body has finely molded detail
- Factory Installed ESU LokPilot DCC Decoder
- Wire Grab Irons
- Etched metal screens for the roof, the fan, and the dynamic brake openings
- Kadee® couplers are included.
The EMD F3 was a 1,500 horsepower freight and passenger hauling diesel locomotive produced between July 1945 and February 1949 by General Motors’ Electro-Motive Division. Final assembly was at GM-EMD’s La Grange, Illinois plant. A total of 1,111 cab-equipped lead A units and 696 cabless booster B units were built.
The F3 was the third model in GM-EMD’s highly successful F-unit series of cab unit diesel locomotives, and it was the second most produced of the series. The F3 essentially differed from the EMD F2 in that it used the “new” D12 generator to produce more power, and from the later EMD F7 in electrical equipment. Some late-model F3’s had the same D27 traction motors, along with the heavier-duty electrical cables, used in the F7, and were unofficially referred to as F5’s.