Brass Hybrid PRR S2 6-8-6 Turbine #6200, Large Smoke Deflectors, Paragon3 Sound/DC/DCC, HO
- NEW Paragon3 Sound & Operation System FEATURING ROLLING THUNDERTM with Authentic Sounds and Prototypical Operation in both DC and DCC environments
- Factory Installed Engineer / Fireman Figures
- Authentic synchronized Turbine “woosh” sounds with Engine Motion
- Synchronized Smoke with Engine Motion
- Variable Puffing Smoke Intensity and Timing
- Locomotive Composition: Brass body with Die Cast Chassis
- Tender Composition: Brass body with Die Cast Chassis
- Couplers: (2) Operating Kadee or Compatible
- Compatible Tracks: Code 70, 83, 100 Rail
- Equipped with Traction Tires
- Minimum Operating Radius: 22 in or greater
The worlds first and only locomotive with a 6-8-6 wheel configuration was introduced in 1944. The PRR S2 direct-drive steam turbine powered locomotive was a unique experiment in motive power. Its six-wheel leading truck, eight drive wheels and six-wheel trailing truck made for a massive running platform that was quite efficient when the S2 was at speed. Originally, the S2 was to be a 4-8-4, but wartime restrictions on the usage of lighter steel alloys forced the use of heavier alloys – eventually driving the weight of the entire locomotive to need larger leading and trailing trucks.
The S2 is outfitted with two steam turbines. One for each direction of travel. The large boiler sports a Belpaire firebox and the turbines exhaust was channeled through four pipes in the smoke box. A Worthington-style feedwater heater honed the S2s efficiency further.
This iconic Pennsylvania steam locomotive is a must-have for every serious PRR steam collector. We are offering the S2 in four different ways – As Delivered (with no smoke deflectors), with Small Smoke Deflectors and with Large Smoke Deflectors. And for those who enjoy the varnished brass colored unit which truly makes each and every detail pop, that is also available in limited supply. The S2s completely unique look and mechanism makes any layout shine! Order yours today as supplies are very limited!