Broadway Limited Imports BLI-5672, HO UP Big Boy, Paragon3 Sound, Unlettered, 1941 As Delivered, Coal Tender
Broadway Limited Imports HO Scale UP Big Boy #4012, 1941 As-Delivered Aftercooler & 25-C-100 Coal Tender
Broadway Limited Item #: BLI-5672
- NEW Paragon3 Sound & Operation System Featuring Rolling ThunderTM with Authentic Sounds and Prototypical Operation in both DC and DCC environments
- Factory Installed Engineer / Fireman Figures
- Synchronized Puffing Smoke with each Chuff
- Variable Puffing Smoke Intensity and Timing
- Lighted Number Boards
- Lighted Marker Lights
- Locomotive Composition: Die Cast Body with Die Cast Chassis
- Tender Composition: ABS Body with Die Cast Chassis
- Couplers: (2) Operating Kadee or Compatible
- Compatible Tracks: Code 70, 83, 100 Rail
- Equipped with Traction Tires
- Minimum Operating Radius: 18 in or greater
The largest steam loco ever made, and certainly a contender for the Worlds Most Famous Locomotive, the Big Boy was forged under some of the most strenuous demands ever placed on a locomotive. The UP Railroad needed a locomotive that could be used to pull a 3,600-ton train over Sherman Hill and the 1.14% grade from Ogden to Wasatch, Utah without the need for helpers.
When the design specifications were complete, it was decided on the use of a simple articulated, high speed, 132 ft. long locomotive sporting sixteen 68 diameter drive wheels. What they created was the longest and among the heaviest, most powerful steam locomotive legends in the world. Andhad not the worker at ALCO chalked Big Boy on the side of the smoke box of one of the 4-8-8-4s under construction, a name that immediately caught on, it is rumored that the name of the type would have been Wasatch, for the mountains they were built to conquer.
The Big Boys demonstrated fantastic strength and speed as they faced these challenges throughout their storied careers. With the total mileage on the Big Boy fleet being approximately 1,000,000 miles for each locomotive, one must say that they earned their reputation.
Several examples remain in museums around the country but silently they sit as a visual echo to the thunder that once made them revered throughout the landscape that the Big Boys dominated.
|Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price||749.99|
|DCC||DCC With Sound|