Atlas Trainman HO EMD GP38-2, Silver, DC
New York & Atlantic #271
Atlas Item # 10 002 481
- NMRA 8-pin plug for DCC
- The same drive as our basic Master Series™, in an affordable locomotive
- Five-pole skewed armature motor with dual flywheels
- Separately applied hand rails and end railings
- Matching cabooses available separately
- Locating dimples for grab irons
- True scale dimensions with accurate details
- Realistic die-cast underframes
- Equipped with AccuMate® Couplers
- As with our Master Series™ GP-38, this model features either a 2,600 or 3,600 gallon fuel tank, depending on the prototype.
The EMD GP38-2 is a four-axle diesel-electric locomotive of the road switcher type built by General Motors, Electro-Motive Division. Part of the EMD Dash 2 line, the GP38-2 was an upgraded version of the earlier GP38. Power is provided by an EMD 645E 16-cylinder engine, which generates 2000 horsepower. Most built still remain in service in the modern era due to ease of maintenance and exceptional reliability. The Dash 2 locomotive series, unveiled by EMD in 1972, featured significant changes, such as a solid-state, modular electrical control system and improved engine components designed to increase traction and reduce exhaust emissions. A reliable work-horse, the GP38-2 remains one of the most successful locomotives ever built.