Atlas N Scale GE U23B, DC
Atlas Item # 40 002 994
- Operational low nose headlight (used where appropriate)
- DCC ready
- Separate coupler cut lever
- Cab with 4 or 2 side windows (as appropriate per road name)
- Directional lighting
- Golden white LEDs
- Painted safety rails
- Blackened metal wheels
- Dual flywheel equipped 5-pole skewed armature motor with a low friction mechanism
- Factory-installed AccuMate® magnetic knuckle couplers!
Powered by a V12 FDL prime mover, the 2250 h.p. U23B was GE’s intermediate-sized four-axle road-switcher of the late 1960s through the mid 1970s. The U23B’s direct competitor during this period was the very successful EMD GP38. In 10 years of production, from 1968 through 1977, a total of 481 units were produced, making this the second best seller of GE’s “Universal Series” locomotives. The first units were delivered to the Delaware & Hudson in August and September 1968. CSX predecessors Chesapeake & Ohio and Louisville & Nashville had a combined fleet of 120 units, giving CSX one of the larger active fleets in later years. Penn Central, Santa Fe and Missouri Pacific also purchased sizeable fleets of U23Bs.