Atlas N Scale EMD GP-7 with Torpedo Tubes, With DCC
Atlas Item # 40 002 954
- NCE DCC Decoder Equipped
- Powered low friction drive
- Blackened metal wheels
- Dual brass flywheels
- Directional lighting
- Golden-white LEDs
- AccuMate® couplers
NCE Decoder Features:
- Silent Running™ motor drive
- Both short and long addresses can be programmed on main line (Ops mode)
- Torque Compensation for ultra smooth low speed performance
- Programmable start, mid and maximum speed CVs that work in all speed modes
- Four function outputs with lighting effects generators that allow you to select from 15 different lighting behaviors (ditch lights, Mars light, strobes, beacon, etc)
The EMD GP7 is a four-axle (B-B) road switcher diesel-electric locomotive built by General Motors Electro-Motive Division and General Motors Diesel between October, 1949 and May 1954. Power was provided by an EMD 567B 16-cylinder engine which generated 1,500 horsepower. The GP7 was the first EMD road locomotive to use a hood-unit design instead of a car-body design. This proved to be more efficient than the cab unit design as the hood unit cost less, had easier and cheaper maintenance, and had much better front and rear visibility for switching.
One option available for locomotives without dynamic brakes, was to remove the two air reservoir tanks from under the frame, and replace them with four tanks that were installed on the roof of the locomotive, above the prime mover. These “torpedo tubes” as they were nicknamed, enabled the fuel and water tanks to be increased to 1,100 US gallons each.
Of the 2,734 GP7’s built, 2,620 were for American railroads (including 5 GP7B units built for the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway), 112 were built for Canadian railroads, and 2 were built for Mexican railroads.