This Minneapolis & St. Louis ALCo RS-1 is expected from Atlas in late June. If you place your pre-order now, you will NOT be charged until the locomotive has come in and we are ready to ship it to you.
The RS-1 was introduced by ALCO in March of 1941 with the delivery of the first of two units to the Rock Island. Combining the accessibility of a switching locomotive and the higher-speed tracking of a road unit, the RS-1 started a revolution in locomotive design that was soon embraced by all of the major diesel-electric builders. Despite ALCO’s own introduction of higher horsepower roadswitchers, the 1,000 h.p. RS-1 had a production span of 19 years (1941-1960) with 623 units.
- Retooled die-cast metal chassis and fine scale handrails
Golden White LEDs
- New! DCC/Sound version available with LokSound decoder
Separately-applied wire grab irons, coupler cut bars, trainline hoses and lift rings
- Accurate painting and printing
- AccuMate® couplers
Realistic die-cast mainframe
- Five-pole skewed armature motor with dual-flywheels for optimum performance at all speeds
- Directional lighting
Note: Undecorated version comes with both friction bearing and roller bearing truck sideframes
New Sound Features for Gold Series:
- Supports all DCC-programming modes
- Follows all NMRA DCC standards and recommended practices
- Flexible mapping of function keys F0 to F28
- A total of six DCC function outputs are available
Analog (DC) Operation
- The LokSound Select Dual-Mode decoder allows your Atlas Gold Series locomotive to be used on DC as well as on DCC layouts
- Please note that the Atlas Quantum Engineer will NOT operate an Atlas Gold Series locomotive equipped with a LokSound Select decoder on an analog (DC) layout. However, the sound and lighting functions of the LokSound Select decoder in the Atlas Gold Series RS-1 locomotive can be controlled by an easy-to-use basic DCC system
- Also note that on a DC-powered layout, a DCC and sound equipped locomotive (such as the Atlas Gold Series RS-1) CANNOT be consisted with another locomotive that does not also have both DCC and sound. (This statement does NOT apply to DCC-equipped locomotives operating on a DCC layout.)
- Over 20 sound effects are available, including engine start-up and shutdown, prime mover sounds through all eight notches, bell, air horn, air compressor, dynamic brakes and more.
- There are 16 user-selectable horns, 2 user-selectable bells, and 2 user-selectable synchronized brake squeals
- Manual and Automatic Notching modes with the ability to change modes ”on the fly” are provided for true realism