*If we don’t show this set as being in stock, we can order it from Athearn and still have it to you in about 7-10 days (in the Continental US) from the time of your order!
Athearn HO Scale Santa Fe Warbonnet EMD F7A Starter Freight Train Set (DC Only)
Athearn Item #: ATH29308
This classic Santa Fe Train makes for a great starter set. Everything you need to get started running trains!
- Athearn Ready to Roll EMD F7A
- DC Only, Not DCC Ready
- Santa Fe’s iconic red & silver “Warbonnet” paint scheme
- See-through cab and/or portal windows
- Dual headlight per prototype
- Separately-applied horns
- All-wheel drive with precision gears for smooth and quiet operation
- Heavy die-cast frame for greater traction and more pulling power
- All-wheel electrical pickup provides reliable current flow
- 5-pole motor with precision-machined flywheels and multi-link drive train for trouble free operation
- Wheels with RP25 contours operate on Code 55, 70, 75, 80, 83, 100 rail
- Replacement parts available including motor brushes
FREIGHT CARS FEATURES:
- RTR Single Dome Tank Car, US Dept of Defense
- RTR 50′ ACF Boxcar, Santa Fe “Super Shock Control,” with Operational Sliding Door
- RTR 50′ Gondola, Denver & Rio Grande Western, With Removable Canister Load
- RTR Wide Vision Caboose, Santa Fe
- All Cars Weighted for Optimum Performance
- Machined RP25 Profile 33″ Metal Wheels
TRAIN SET FEATURES:
- Fully-assembled and ready-to-run out of the box
- Painted and printed for realistic decoration
- Highly detailed, injection molded body
- McHenry operating scale knuckle couplers
- Athearn TrainPak power supply
- Three freight cars with a matching caboose
- Classic F7 A locomotive
- 36″ x 45″ oval of Bachmann E-Z Track with gray roadbed
Top reasons to start and stay with Athearn trains:
- Hobby quality
Athearn sets are built to be the basis for a lifelong hobby and only include the best components. This means their train set will last for years to come and not end-up in a closet to be forgotten after a few hours of use.
- Full featured power pack
Their Trainpak power pack includes accessory terminals to power accessories like remote controlled switches, street lights and building lights. The TrainPak also has an on/off switch so it does not have to be unplugged to turn off the power.
- Greater pulling power
A locomotive should pull long trains. With their large motor, all-wheel gear drive and heavy die-cast frame, Athearn’s locomotives will pull at least 15 freight cars on level track.
- Smooth performer
Over time, rails require cleaning. Dirty track can cause intermittent electrical contact which means the locomotive may run erratically. To overcome this effect, Athearn’s locomotives include dual flywheels to keep the motor and wheels spinning. Also, all eight wheels pick-up electricity to ensure optimum current flow.
- Easy set-up
Simple printed instructions are included in the box for quick and easy set-up.
- Bachmann® Nickel-Silver E-Z® Track
Bachmann is the worldwide leader of roadbed-style track. This unique track system can be set-up virtually anywhere including carpet, tile, table, etc. The 45″ x 36″ oval can be expanded with readily available switches, crossings, straight, curves and more. Finally, Nickel-Silver rail conducts electricity better than steel and requires less cleaning.
- Ready To Roll locomotive and freight cars
Athearn uses “off-the-shelf” locomotives and freight cars from their Ready To Roll line. This means they are fully assembled and ready to run out of the box. Instead of being molded in color, all of our models are painted and printed for the most realistic decoration. In addition, tjheir freight cars include metal wheels which roll better than plastic wheels.
- Everything in one box
The train, power pack, track, hook-up wire, and instructions are all included in the box. The box also doubles as a convenient storage container and includes a carry handle.
- Up to $107 in savings off MSRP *Even more savings with Tony’s great low pricing!
If purchased separately the total value of the Warbonnet Set is $275 MSRP and the Iron Horse Set is $297 MSRP. Buying everything together saves $85 and $107 respectively.
PROTOTYPE AND BACKGROUND INFO:
The EMD F7 was a 1,500 horsepower Diesel-electric locomotive produced between February 1949 and December 1953 by the Electro-Motive Division of General Motors (EMD) and General Motors Diesel (GMD). Many F7s remained in service for decades, as railroads found them economical to operate and maintain. The Santa Fe railroad operated an extensive amount of EMD F7 diesel locomotives, many painted in the famous “Warbonnet” livery made famous by the Santa Fe’s passenger service.
The Athearn F7 itself also has a lush history. The first plastic one-piece body locomotive in the Athearn catalog for the time, in the 1950s. The Athearn F7 has been the train set locomotive of choice for over a generation of model railroaders.
Share the experience of model railroading and the gift of memories of the streamliner era!