e have just received some Bachmann Spectrum HO 3 Truck Shays. Our initial impression is very favorable:
- The loco is heavy and the mix of plastic and metal is almost non discernable.
- All drive mechanisms are precise and rugged but scale in appearance.
- Loco is geared low and has good low speed control. Gearbox whine is only noticeable at higher speeds.
- Detail and appearance are excellent.
- Water tender, (third truck) is large and features NMRA DCC 2×4 receptacle. Most DCC decoders with DCC NMRA 2×4 plug will easily fit.
- Tender is large enough to accommodate Soundtraxx DSX decoder, 1″ speaker and N or Z decoder. We are in the process of performing this installation and should have pics soon.
Note: Our first allotment is far short of what Bachmann promised but in timethe HO Shay will become a stock item.